Thursday, November 1, 2012

Inspiration Profile - Claire Lloyd

It is a real pleasure and an honour to have this week's Inspiration Profile. I first came across Claire Lloyd when she released her first book, Sensual Living over a decade ago and instantly responded to her ideals and beautiful visuals. This book taught readers how to create a home that stimulates all the senses.
An Australian expat, Claire arrived in London in 1983 after two years with Australian Vogue. Since then she has built a stellar career in magazines (The World of Interiors and British W), film, books and property as well as worked with the likes of Liberty, Harrods, French Connection, Joesph and The Conran Shop. Enjoy Claire's Inspiration Profile today and look out for her latest book, My Greek Island Home.


Claire Lloyd


Name: Claire Lloyd

What do you do: I do lots of different things which all revolve around creativity. I am a photographer, author, designer and filmmaker.
Where do you live: At present I live on the beautiful Greek island of Lesvos 
What are you working on: I am in Australia promoting my latest book ‘My Greek Island Home’ which has just been released by Penguin Lantern. I am also putting together a little mood film depicting a simple village community life.

 
 

 
Who/what inspires me: My parents inspire me they have always been so supportive and encouraging and they approach life positively and with humor. They have lots of energy.
 
Georgia O’Keeffe inspires me, she was a strong creative woman. I love her style, the way she dressed and the environment she created in New Mexico to live and work in. Her paintings were ahead of their time. I have always been particularly drawn to her flower paintings.
Nature and animals inspire me.
My friends inspire me they are all unique with their own unique creativity.
My partner, artist Matthew Usmar Lauder inspires me. He is a creator across all mediums. He finds beauty in every detail and is the kindest and most creative person I know.


Aegean by Matthew Usmer Lauder

 
I work best: Usually in the morning when my eyes have not been bombarded by too much visual information.
What I do when I’m stuck for inspiration: I just try not to think about it, I put it out of my head and do something else. I always trust its only temporary.
The best advice I have been given is: Don’t go where your not loved!
My latest discovery is: Green juice. I love it and try to have one a day. I combine anything I have but always like to include a lemon, an apple and mint. Then it depends on whats in season, spinach, cucumber, celery, broccoli, lots of different greens. I feel my body thanking me from the first sip.


 
 
Books that I get inspiration from: Art and architecture books are my favourites for inspiration.
Magazines that inspire me: Yatzer is a global online destination and very inspiring!
My favourite room at home is: Different moods different rooms. I love all the rooms in my house it depends on the time of day, and the mood I’m in.
My office is: It’s more a studio than an office, the word office for me feels like a restriction. My studio is a bright white room in our house. It overlooks the garden. The window is framed by a grapevine and looking through it I see is the huge fig tree. I can also see the dogs. It was a bedroom but I decided it was more important I use it for creativity than guests. We have another beautiful little house in the village for our guests.
What am I looking forward to: Travelling with Matthew and my camera. I am planning a trip to India next year. The last time I was there I was on a shoot for The World of Interiors magazine, it’s so many years ago I can’t even begin to remember.

Want to know more about Claire? See her website here and follow her blog here.




All photographs are by and used with permission from Claire Lloyd.

0 comments:

Post a Comment