Thursday, August 29, 2013

Inspiration Profile: Amy Jo Tennant

Yay, it is almost the weekend! Today we have a cool profile from Amy Jo Tennant, otherwise known as Milo and Mitzy. Enjoy and Happy Father's Day on Sunday to all Dads out there - hope you get some loving and treats from your little ones.

Amy Jo Tennant and the adorable Frankie


Milo and Mitzy - the blog

Name: Amy Jo Tennent

What do you do: Well, I do a few things really. Firstly I am a Mum to my 10 month old girl Frankie and wife to hubby Rob. I have another baby due in November. I am just about finished my primary teaching degree, also in November. I am a blogger (Milo and Mitzy) and I retail gorgeous 100% New Zealand wool chunky knit throws with the idea to expand come next winter.

Where do you live: On a sheep and beef farm in Hawkes Bay New Zealand.

What are you working on: A few writing projects on the go, I blog for Father Rabbit and occasionally Superetteand have just started a new role writing for Est Magazine. Also I am constantly coming up with new ideas for the chunky knit throws and how to keep growing them.

100% New Zealand wool chunky knit throws available from Milo and Mitzy.

Colour: In home, muted colours and black and whites. Fashion wise, bit of a sucker for yellow or red.

Plant/Flowers: Always loved hydrangeas. They remind me of my childhood. My Grandma used to have them in her house. They were the choice of flower at our wedding. I do love lilies too.

Food: That’s easy, avocados and second on the list, home made burgers. Whoopsy!

Smell: Issey Miyake

Style: In home I tend to mix trends such as vintage and industrial and from there mix textures such as a gorgeous knitted throw on a brown leather chair in front of a white wooden wall. Perfect!

Amy's idea of a perfect kitchen - bricks, Tolix chairs, black board and open shelves.

Who/what inspires me: Business wise, I think Claudia and Nick of Father Rabbit have done an amazing job and it is inspiring to see what they have achieved in such a short space of time.

Locally here in Hawkes Bay, the owners, Alex and Chris of Pipi Café have really cracked it. If you visit you NEED to stop there.  

And then close to home is my Mum. She is an extremely hard worker which is often forgotten in our family. I think Mums are just expected to do everything for everyone, their whole life. I am an adult and still go home to Mum and Dads to be looked after if I am ever sick or need anything.

I work best:  I am a morning person for sure. In saying that though often you will find me up in the middle of the night if I have an idea in my head that I cant escape.

What I do when I’m stuck for inspiration: Hmmm, that’s a hard one as this has happened to me a bit lately. I have had so many things going on that I found myself a little uninspired. My husband calls these ‘Amy’ days. I like to go on Sundays to the local farmers markets, out for lunch and then finish off with a wander around a few of my favorite shops. Usually after one of these days I feel refreshed and inspired.

The best advice I have been given is:  When out for dinner the other day I read a Winston Churchill quote on the wall - "Attitude is a little thing that makes a big difference". So true. Also I am always being told, finish something properly before you start something else. I am not very good at that!

"I am a big sucker for that industrial lamp"- Amy Jo

My latest discovery is: Instagrambelieve it or not. I am actually not that good with social media. A bit slow on the up take. I have also discovered after 5 or so years of living here that the little country café just up the road from us is AMAZING. Don’t judge a book by its cover is the lesson learnt there.

Books that I get inspiration from: I am a magazine addict. Anyone who knows me can vouch for that. Otherwise I am a total sucker for a good recipe book. I can sit there for hours flicking through the pages of these. Little and Friday is my latest love and another Donna Hay is on my wishlist. I love to cook, I think it is the thing that relaxes me most.  
Magazines that inspire me: Home Style, Your Home and Garden, Marie Claire and I used to love the Australian Madison but much to my disappointment they have just put out their last issue.

Blogs that I enjoy: There are so many fabulous sites out there now. International blogs that inspire me are The Style Files, April and May79ideas and Nordic Design. Blogs that inspire me closer to home are Cush and Nooks and The Design Chaser.

"Love the striped rug topped with a gorgeous black and white cowhide. The art work adds interest and the mix of cushions is a great way to add pattern" - Amy Jo

My favourite room at home is: Kitchen living area. It is open plan so I can have family time whilst I am in the kitchen cooking. Multi tasking at its best. I also take it for granted but we have a pretty fabulous view out towards the hills. I didn’t really pay a huge amount of attention to it until I noticed that it is one of Frankies favorite things to do. Stand at the window steering out to the sheep on the hills.

My office is: A nightmare. Our dining room and office space is shared at this present time. Drives me a bit bonkers.

What am I looking forward to: Sounds bit selfish really, but I am looking forward to lots of things to do with me. Finishing my degree in November, having a baby in November. Getting through that new born stage, enjoying a wine or 2 and then getting fit again. Having 2 babes so close has meant that I have basically been pregnant 2 years in a row. Bring on bootcamp!

Thanks for this great profile, Amy - it was a pleasure to have you on board. Best of luck in November for the new arrival and finishing your degree.
You can keep up to date with Milo and Mitzy on the blog, on Facebook and Pinterest.

Bed head-board created with washi tape - an awesome and clever idea.
All photographs are selected and used with permission from Milo and Mitzy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment